The Dry Mills School Museum is the last one room schoolhouse of twelve that were built in Gray. The others have been sold, converted into houses, or torn down. Originally built around 1857, prior to the Civil War, the school finally closed its doors to public education in 1958. The building remained intact most of its life, with a wood shed being added around the turn-of-the-century. The shed was later converted to an outhouse and the original detached outhouse was destroyed. In the early 1990's, at a cost of $12000, the building and the original granite slab foundation were moved to their current location on the Maine Wildlife Park Road. With the exception of the outhouse, the building has been restored to its original appearance. The interior retains an original chalkboard, period wood stove and furnishings. Collections include school pictures from many of the classes, and early school textbooks. The exterior has been completely restored including the flag pole and chimney. Today, it is a living museum, attesting to the educational environment in the mid 1800’s.
The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.