Credit Report Liens

If you have had a tax lien that is still showing on your Credit Report and the liens have been paid in full, and if the discharge is not shown on the report as well as the lien, you may dispute the credit report by following the procedure below.

Credit Report Disputes

  1. Determine which credit bureau is being used. Go to for free credit report.  Print a copy of your report.
  2. Discharges are supposed to be listed along with the lien.  Check to see if the discharge is listed with the lien in question.  Credit reports can be disputed if the discharge is not listed.
  3. Obtain a copy of the discharge from the Registry of Deeds (208-338-1710) and send it with a dispute form to the credit bureau. They have 21 days to respond to you.
  4. If the dispute is not solved after 21 days, contact the Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection at 1-800-332-8529.