In Recognition For: Service to the Town of Gray
Thomas Hancock (3 Aug 1815 - 22 Dec 1873) came to Gray while young and worked at various stores before entering into partnership with Warren H. Vinton and building the brick store on the corner of Main and Brown Streets. He acted as a sort of banker, making small loans and taking mortgages on real estate. He was postmaster at Gray Corner from 1841-1843 and again from 1849-1852. He represented Gray in the State Legislature in 1853 and was Cumberland County Register of Deeds from 1863-1867. He was one of four men selected by Henry Pennell as a permanent trustee of Pennell Institute.
Sponsor: Gray Historical Society
Added: 2 Jan 2012