Historical Sites

National Register of Historic Places

The Town of Gray has three buildings and a historic district that are currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places:

  • Dry Mills Schoolhouse
    The Dry Mills Schoolhouse is Gray's last remaining one-room schoolhouse in town.  Built in 1857, the schoolhouse is located on Game Farm Road and entered on to the National Register in 1996.  The building and museum are maintained by the Dry Mills Schoolhouse Committee.
  • Freeman Farm/Stonehedge
    A historic district at 342 West Gray Road and entered on to the National Register in 2003.  It is privately owned.
  • Pennell Institute
    Also known as Pennell School, the building is located on Lewiston Road in Gray Village and was entered on to the National Register in 1982. The building underwent a major renovation process in 2010 and is now home of the Gray Town Office which houses the Assessing, Planning, Code Enforcement, Town Clerks, Recreation and Communications Departments. This building is now referred to as the Pennell Municipal Complex.
  • Stimson Memorial Hall
    The building is located at 4 Shaker Road in Gray Village and was entered on to the National Register in 1992.

Freeman Farm
Now called Stonehedge, this historic district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more information about Stonehedge’s country / bluegrass festivals & other events, please visit their website.

Gray Historical Society
The Gray Historical Society was founded on June 6, 1962 as a community project by Gray Grange. Its purpose is to "collect, preserve, and to share the history of the Town of Gray and the State of Maine."

Gray's Unknown Confederate Soldier
The Town of Gray has a "Stranger" buried at the Village Cemetery.

Historic USGS maps of Gray
The UNH Dimond Library has 1892, 1944 & 1957 Gray, Maine maps online.

History of the First Congregational Church of Gray
Located in Gray Village, the church is over 200 years old.

Maine Wildlife Park
Formerly known as the State Game Farm, it was renamed the Maine Wildlife Park in 1997.

Mayall, Samuel (1816-1892)
From the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.

Mayall Woolen Mills
A state historic site, located on Megquire Road.

Poland Spring Preservation Society
Dedicated to the preservation of the Maine State Building and All Souls Chapel in Poland Spring, both listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.