In the 19th and early 20th centuries, Gray Village was the primary focus of commercial activity and community life. Two hundred years ago, weary travelers could find food and lodging, and farmers could buy grain and feed.
The character of the buildings and landscape reflected its social importance until damaged by fire in 1921. The Village is now a mixture of historic and more modern buildings, yet it still remains strategically located at the intersection of the Maine Turnpike and Routes 4, 26, 100, 115 and 202.
The Village serves as the center for civic activities, including the Gray Town Offices, Stimson Hall, Gray Public Library, Russell Elementary School, Gray Historical Society, U.S. Post Office, and Gray Recreation facilities.